WHAT WE DO
WHAT WE DO
Optimizer Foundation invests in early-stage social ventures. We search for scalable, and system-changing solutions, improving the lives of children and youth. The organizations we support have a specific focus on education and health.
We work closely with our investees, providing funding as well as business advisory support, to help our investees to scale. We pull from skills and expertise from the Foundation team, as well as the Optimizer Invest team, and our broader network.
Any return on investment and repayment of debt goes back into the Foundation to benefit additional social ventures.
Optimizer Foundation is guided by below strategic focus and investment criteria:
• Focus sectors – education and health
• Geographies – East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda) and India
• Investment size – 50,000-150,000 USD
• Investment type – equity, debt
• Stage – Seed and early-stage ventures
• Impact – strong evidence of socio-economic impact of the product/service (i.e. improved living standards for end-customer/user)
• Customer segment – core customer segment is low-income.
• Scalability – strong scalability potential for national/regional scale up, as well as replication of model into other countries
• Team – fulltime team in place with strong leadership skills, business acumen, and a clear orientation to drive impact – i.e. improve the lives of the end-customer/user
• Financial sustainability – initial traction of revenue generation
• Other – whilst not an exclusive criterium, we have a specific interest in technology-driven products and services
Together with our investees we agree on the appropriate indicators to measure the social impact of their work. Examples of broader indicators are number of customers reached, skills improvement, performance in school, and improved health. We report annually on the results.